Monday, December 31, 2012

Running again

Today, Andy started his half-marathon training.  I was bored at work (what's new) browsing the web on the ipad and thought I might like to walk a marathon sometime since I am a fan of walking.  I ended up finding a bunch of marathon/half info and told Andy about it.  On Friday he signed up for the Lake Sammamish one on March 9th.  Once you pay, you get motivated.  The training schedules were actually 10 weeks long which, if he started this week, is EXACTLY the amount of time he has!

He even went out and bought a calendar to write the amount of miles each day he is supposed to run and posted it up in our room.  He will also keep his weight progress on there too.


His plan is to run this one, then probably do another half a little later, which will evolve into a full marathon training (the schedules tend to match up).  His goal is to do the oktoberfest full one in Leavenworth.  I would like to do some sort of race then too, but I don't want to make any solid goals yet since I don't know how my recovery would be.  I would be in pain a few months after having Sawyer after trying to just walk the 3-4 miles at the park, and not sure if my situation this time will be even harder.  Maybe I'll walk the kids in the half that day.

Today he ran the first day on the schedule, 3 miles, and used his new neon yellow shirt (complete with thumb holes) that I got him for Christmas.  So proud!  The running days are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturdays (the long day) and are very adamant about needing to use the rest days since they give your muscles time to build and repair, also preventing injury and pain to joints.  Maybe he will do a lot better this way since he wasn't taking a lot of rest days before.

1 comment:

  1. Running a 1/2 then a complete marathon is no easy task, it takes everyday commitment and grit to stick to the schedule. Actually, running the race is a piece of cake compared to the training, but man is it ever worth it! WTG Andy,and WTG Amy for your support of Andy's goal :-) I guess Andy's last race wasn't exactly a piece of cake huh? but he did it and finished, yay!

    ReplyDelete