Sunday, December 30, 2012

Room Progress

We didn't have ANY plans for the weekend for once, so I decided we needed to get the rooms on a roll.  We could actually get stuff done without being tired from work all day.

On Saturday, I pretty much just moved all the clothes into the hallway.  We have WAY too many clothes.  Sawyer's old clothes and baby's new ones, ones too big for him still, and the mass that fits him now.  I still am missing the 9 month ones somewhere too.  Baby's clothes (the ones that can be put on hangers) up through 6-9 months were hung up in Sawyer's current room (future baby's room).
This shows the 3 month clothes...

It is ridiculous what exhausts you when you have a baby sucking out your energy!  We were hungry and Andy's cousin Megan tipped us off that some of the Targets in Utah had just the navy Ergo carriers on clearance.  We decided to take a break and check them out.  We stopped at the Sunrise one and they just had a display, along with some other brands of carriers actually in stock.  Second stop was the mall one, and they didn't even have a display...and only had about 2 total carriers (no Ergo).  We ate in the food court and decided it was Sub Zero time (ice cream).  We had delicious cake batter with brownies and cookie dough this time and it, like the others, was amazing!  I suggested we try the Target there in Federal Way.  Success!  Well, kind of.  They actually had 2 in stock, one gray w/ stars (still full price at $120) and one black "sport" model...on clearance for $80.  I did a quick search (whoever says smartphones aren't necessary is crazy) and found that the sport model is different because the material was lighter, the straps were longer (necessary for Andy), and the hood is detachable.  It doesn't have a zipper pouch though, but meh.  The other features were better for us.  I took it home and tried it out right away- Sawyer loved it!  It holds kids up to 40 lbs, but I don't think we will tote Sawyer in it much, haha. You can carry the babies on the front, back, or hip.

Sawyer had thrown a few fits that day, which was completely unusual in public.  We thought his tummy probably hurt because he wouldn't eat anything (besides pancakes early for breakfast) but every time we turned around he had a chocolate in his mouth.  I don't know where he stashed them because he wasn't getting them out of the family box.  He said his tummy didn't hurt though, it must have just been a crash from the all-day sugar rush.  We made sure he ate some top ramen before bed (it was all he would eat), and I stayed up entirely too late sorting clothes.  From the big pile was sorted out into a pile of clothes I would never use (stains, fit weird, or not our style).


We also made the executive decision to switch the room styles.  I kept looking at the new crib over the past few months, and just felt guilty putting a new infant in there.  There were chips that had been slightly painted over again, but not enough to prevent more chips.  It was dirty from sitting in a garage for ages, and it was pretty old (I think her oldest is like 6 now and crib safety has changed it made me nervous).  Refinishing a crib, according to everyone online, was not worth it, and it is hard to find paint that is OK for a crib.  Plus I wouldn't be able to do it and didn't want to pin a difficult project on Andy because I can't inhale fumes.  The things in question could be bad for an infant, but not a big deal for a toddler.  I decided to put Sawyer in the new white room, and use Sawyer's old crib and furniture (and even decor, saving us $$$) and that will go to baby.  I feel pretty confident that we made the right choice, especially since the changing table dresser is in the color of the old jungle theme.  I thought Sawyer was getting a little old for the jungle animals anyway.

The middle of the night that night was not good.  I heard Sawyer screaming at 4am and poked Andy for what to do.  I didn't want to get him up that early in the morning, but he was not falling back to sleep and it was a long time of crying.  Andy went in there and found a bad surprise.  Sawyer had thrown up noodles EVERYWHERE.  I heard the bathtub start, and then the washing machine.  After a bath and sheet change, Sawyer went back to sleep, and I let Andy sleep in this morning.

I got to work pretty soon.  I sorted the remaining, usable pile, into clothes that fit, ones that are too small, and ones that are too big.  I put the big ones in a laundry basket and put that in Sawyer's new room and decided to worry about that when they fit.  I sorted the fitting ones into like-styles: undies, socks, pants, footie jammies, other jammies, shirts, and sweatshirts/jackets.  I hung up all of his shirts and jackets and put them in his new closet, and the others each got drawers in his new dresser.

While Sawyer was doing this:


I was dealing with more clothes and was jealous, but his tummy was still a little upset all day (hence the pull-up).  Here is the pile of just the "too small" clothes.  I sorted those into a 12 month pile, and an 18 month pile.

Andy and Sawyer came up and built Sawyer's cube shelves (baby's were done already).


I felt pretty accomplished with Sawyer's clothes all put away and the shelves built, but Andy came and built the crib.  The funny thing was he misunderstood me, and built it as the daybed, not the full crib.  So, yeah, we are testing Sawyer in his new bed tonight.  I figured if it went poorly, all he has to do is screw in the front fence tomorrow night.  I put some of his toys and some books in his cube shelves in case he wakes up early.  I hope he doesn't fall out mostly since the new crib doesn't have the safety fence like his old one came with.  His room is pretty plain right now, but I am actually pretty happy with it and feel really accomplished from this weekend!

Trying it out, pretending to sleep





I'm going to paint that old lamp- the other lamp is just too dim to light the whole room

We'll get some artwork up

Since I am terrified of him falling down the stairs in the dark and doing things downstairs (or wandering into our room and creeping me out in the wee hours), we put a couple safety measures in place.
His "too small" clothes, and baby's shelves waiting for room to move

We put the safety gate outside of his room.  Now he can only get into the laundry room and end of the hall bedroom (which has no light in it so he can't see anything to mess around with in there).  We also have a nightlight lit by the stairs in case he gets through the gate somehow in the dark and tries to go down them, at least he can see them a little.

Whew!  For having no plans, it really turned into an exhausting weekend!

2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO!!! I finally went through all our baby girl stuff last night and got rid of a good majority of it. Just didn't make sense to hang on to 4 huge bins of stuff since I'm not sure if and when we will have another one, and 3 ultrasounds assure this is a boy lol. I also took a peek at all our boy stuff, which needs to be organized! And I took an idea from you, and found one of those cube organizers on sale at target for $40, and pink which is the perfect solution for the girls room, so thanks lol! Sawyer's room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a HUGE accomplishment! Sawyer's room looks just great! I love Boris the Bear! What kind of artwork for the walls are you thinking of? I would love to get something to help!
    Poor Sawyer to have a tummy ache and throw up in the night! I remember those days of exciting holiday food and sick tummies for my baby boys. I hope he is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete