Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sugar

I only had one day off this weekend.  The same have-to-still-work-5-days-during-a-holiday-week thing applied this week like Thanksgiving.  My doctor said I should probably take my glucose test (the test for gestational diabetes) by Christmas, and since the lab closes daily at 5, the only time I could do it was Saturday morning.  Way to spend my day off, eh?

I woke up at a reasonable time and had no idea what I should eat.  They said eat normally last time, but I didn't want to throw it off since I would be eating not too long before the test.  I looked online and half of the people said to fast before the test, and the other said taking it on an empty stomach was a bad idea. I decided on a scrambled egg.  I hope it doesn't throw it off!

I got to the lab and the guy gave me the option of lemon lime (I had that last time), fruit punch, or orange.  I settled on this:

You have 5 minutes to drink it, but he said it is best to chug.  I took a little sip to just see how it tasted.  Yum, not bad!  I started to chug.  About halfway through I had to stop and take a breath...and try not to throw up.  I have not been nauseous in 20 weeks, but this drink did it.  Imagine chugging straight sugar water. It took all I had to finish it and not throw it up...but I did it!  I took a sip of water and felt fine. Whew!

He told me to come back in an hour and handed me this

I went back in and as usual, he had a hard time finding a vein as usual.  On a scale of 1-10, 1 being transparent skin, I am about a 9.  They can never see veins on me.  I have a friend so transparent that she can tan every day and barely look darker, and this is one of the few times I envy that.  They always have to dig around, but luckily I am not very squeamish when it comes to needles. They wrapped me up and I was done!  I hope I pass, if you don't, you have to take the 3 hour test and you have to drink 2 bottles of the gross stuff.


Andy had gone downstairs the whole time because their walk-in clinic is on the floor below and he needed more prescription for his dry skin.  I walked in, sat down, saw and heard all the coughing people, and walked right back up to my floor to wait for him...where there was nobody else but me in the waiting room...and I could actually hear the TV.

Because I didn't have enough sugar for the day, we headed up to sub-zero.  This time we got peanut butter and brownie batter base with oreos and cheesecake mixed in.  Just as good as last time :)

I ended the night by cleaning the toy room.  We are having Christmas at our house this year, and the downstairs should probably be presentable.  Sawyer managed to move half the stuff around already :(

Today I worked all day until 7.  My feet always hurt so badly by the end of the day :/ At least it was all OT plus that 10% extra pay for working on a Sunday.  Just a short day tomorrow and the Christmas festivities start tomorrow night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment