Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fondue

We went on a family date tonight.  We've had a $50 gift card to the Melting Pot for a year now, and an additional coupon that expired at the end of this month.  With the chaos approaching, we knew we had to use it soon after putting it off all year.  I had planned to use it for our anniversary, but being about 6 weeks (or I guess it was 7 but I didn't know at the time) pregnant with the flu, I could barely stand or enjoy food, and I really wanted to enjoy it.

Andy went in to work starting at 3am, so I figured he would be home in time to go tonight.  He usually works 10-12 hour days, and that would bring him home by 3.  Good thing I opted to give extra time, because he didn't get home until the second we had to leave at 4:30. :(  I dressed me and Sawyer somewhat nice in an attempt to make a family date, and fed him a "bo-nana" so he wouldn't be too hungry and eat all our expensive food.

We got there and chose our food.  The first course was cheese.  We got to watch as he loaded a beer base, mustard powder, garlic, and a pile of shredded cheese into our table pot and watched him melt it.  He brought by various breads, apples, and vegetables to dip.  It was SO good!  We let Sawyer play on the phone so that he didn't get antsy (fondue dinner takes a looong time) and he couldn't be bothered with any of the food...good for us! :)



Next they brought salads.  Andy got a spinach and mushroom, and I got a wedge.

Then it was time for the main course.  We ordered the "mojo" broth which was kind of caribbean spices with citrus flavors.  They squirted orange and lime in at our table.  They brought more vegetables, as well as various meats.  They had chicken, pork, steak, teriyaki beef, and shrimp along with 5 dips that were awesome.  I think my favorite was the shrimp in the curry dip.  By the end of this course, I was stuffed and couldn't even finish my half.  The darn bebe takes up too much space in my stomach ;)  Sawyer ended up eating quite a bit of bread eventually- they brought him a bowl of his own.


My favorite course was next- dessert!  We picked the turtle chocolate.  It was chocolate and caramel mixed together, and had delicious candied pecans in it.  You got a variety of dippers like marshmallows, banana, strawberries, rice krispies treats, cheesecake, brownies...mmmm!  I had just enough room left in me to finish the dessert.  They even flambeed it!



It was so fun and delicious!  We knew we'd still be paying a bit even with our $75 worth of gift cards.  Holy balls is that place expensive!  After the tip (which was $20 at that price), we still paid $50!  I was actually shocked how many families were there, because there is no way I'd pay a few hundred dollars for dinner (ours was just the price for 2 people!)  We will probably go back on a special occasion some time...probably during happy hour lol, but definitely not often at that price.  I am glad we got to have a family date night though, and it was so good!
hehe, I look like a sausage when I sit down in a thick sweater

so cute

No comments:

Post a Comment