Sunday, February 17, 2013

Valentine's Day Birthday vacation

This is going to be way too long as usual, have too many pictures, and probably be all over the place as usual, but it covers a lot so here goes.  Oh, before I start, I wanted to let all my crafty friends know we are getting a Hobby Lobby in Federal Way at the end of March which is exciting because you can never have too many craft stores!

Ok first things first.  Valentine's day.  We got up and I got a balloon and flowers and I gave Andy a set of glasses he had mentioned one time and I was a good wifey and remembered.  We headed to Black Angus to use my free dinner coupon and meet my mom since we wouldn't be home on time for my actual birthday.

We headed across the street for Andy to finish up my present (earrings and a dish to hold my jewelry on the bathroom counter) and had enough time to manage Sawyer to trip over my shoe trying to run in front of me and fall on the pavement...with perfect placement to ram his forehead into the curb for a lovely scratched up bump for the rest of the weekend.  We headed straight to Westport.

Westport is a little fishing town.  The houses are all decorated in kind of a dingy mariner theme with old buoys and nets, there is a port with tons of fishing boats, a little strip of shops, and is one of the main surfing spots (why anyone would surf in the ocean up here is beyond me though).  We got to our hotel, Chateau Westport (one of my favorite childhood destinations) and the first thing Sawyer did is call everyone he could think of: Mcqueen, The King, Chick Hicks, Buzz, Woody, Grandma, etc. It was pretty funny, but we had to disconnect the phone from the wall.

The weather was super foggy and so we hit up the pool.  I'm not sure the logic because if anyone says the word "bath", Sawyer will sprint up to the tub.  However, any other type of water freaks him out.  He wouldn't even go close to the pool, but we went in and let him play with his toys because we had his lifejacket.  Slowly, we got him to put his feet in.  Eventually, we would toss his toys way in and Andy would carry him over to them...in time he got lower and lower in the water and we were so proud when he got all the way in!



The little town doesn't really have any food options after 8:00 besides a couple bars, so we had to head to nearby Aberdeen (home of Nirvana...the band, not the state of being) to find food that night.

The next day we went and played on the beach.  We were definitely the "goosebumped beach bum" from that Pemco commercial.  Sawyer LOVED it though.  He always says "I love the beach!" when he sees it on TV.



I don't know why he made this face- it looks like he is talking but he really was just making this face





It was funny because the sky was gray when we got there, but then turned blue and sunny!  Here is the beach, which doubled as Andy's running trail!  He ran 4 miles Friday and 12 miles Saturday all on the beach!


Next we headed to town for food and found a nice little restaurant...and got there just in time!  She locked the door behind us because they only open for breakfast and lunch in the slow season.
Sawyer was excited to show people his "happy cake"


Our view out the window

Of course I had to get a bubblegum waffle cone, as always in Westport.

We went to look at the boats

Then got back to our room for an awesome view of the sunset

Afterwards we headed back to the pool.  Sawyer was so much more brave this time!  Here is the first thing he did, we are so proud of him.

Afterwards we headed back to Aberdeen for food.  It was a good day!

The next day was check-out day, and also my birthday!  It was not so awesome though :(  We had planned to go down the coast to Astoria and Seaside, then head over to the outlets and Portland.  Somewhere the communication went haywire.  Andy asked if I wanted to go the short or scenic way to (apparently Portland).  I thought he meant Astoria, and Sawyer answered "scenic" for me which I thought was sufficient. We had been driving for at least an hour when I was wondering where we were.  Apparently he thought I didn't care and was heading to i-5.  I didn't want to drive another 2 hours just for the outlets since I never find anything anyway and got so upset we were missing half my birthday and just wanted to go home.  Well he didn't catch that part because he started driving us back to the coast.  I was again, so upset when I found that out since we had gone WAY out of the way and it is very uncomfortable riding in the car at this stage.  We kept driving though and ended up in Astoria. One good thing of that day- awesome fish and chips and a little pub on the water.




A ship drove by while we were eating (that's the columbia river)
We headed the 15 minutes down to one of my favorite cities, Seaside Oregon.  We were lucky enough to get about a half hour of fun on the beach (the only other good thing about this day).




I thought we could turn the day around and stay there for the night, visit the shops in the morning, and head over to Portland the next day.  Nope.  EVERY. single. room. was. booked.  This town has tons of hotels, but apparently the holiday weekend mixed with some teenage girl basketball tournament left no rooms.  We found ONE room (their last one), but it was $210 which was more than we paid for 2 nights at Westport and couldn't justify spending that much for a bed.  So...super upset again...we headed home.  We got home at like 11 that night.  We must have spent 8 hours in the car :(

We tried to make ourselves feel better and got this at Walmart on the drive home.


Yes, we drank the milk out of the carton.  No, we did not eat all those cupcakes (we only had one each.)

Today we went to Bellevue to make up for my birthday.  We went to Cheesecake Factory and had the best burger of my life (mac and cheese burger) and got my present- a new Denali jacket (breast cancer version) since my old one was a knock off and was too thin to be worth much anymore- I love my new one!  We even got lucky, they didn't have my size on the wall, but Andy asked if they had any in back...they did!  Which was good luck because she said "usually we don't but I'll check for you just in case." Phew!



This weekend had its ups and downs, but it seems to happen every year.  I always have some sort of disappointment on either Valentine's Day or my birthday :(  I'm sad our vacation is over too.  I still have one day left this Wednesday, then just looking forward to my 10 weeks off with the new baby!

Oh, before I forget, this came this weekend too.  The season ticket box...which they screwed up and sent us the scan cards instead of tickets. Not a fan of the scarves this year.  It looks so much better when everyone holds up green ones, not blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment