Sunday, February 10, 2013

Union

My company is the only wireless company that is union.  We are a part of the Communications Workers of America that covers a range of people like broadcasters.  Our sector's (4 year) contract expired last night at midnight, and there hadn't been much progress made.  Luckily, the union and company decided to extend the current contract for now while bargaining resumes.

I normally like being part of a union.  Our pay is way higher than any other retail job- I started almost double minimum wage (which is usually what retail gets paid) and in 4 years have went up $7 an hour and still going.  We get 3 raises a year guaranteed.  The benefits are awesome and cover the family.  It is very difficult to get fired (they can't just decide they don't like you), and there is a grievance process if we feel we were disciplined unfairly or made to do things we didn't want to.  Our store managers are not part of the union so if we have an issue with our managers, we can always go to our union, and we get representation at any disciplinary meeting or even court.

There is also a bit of a downside though.  I have to pay dues each month.  Sometimes you work with a jerk and they can't get fired unless they do something illegal or break policies enough times.  Also, they re-negotiate the agreement with the company and every 4 years there is a chance we will have to go on strike...which is not ideal.  We wouldn't get paid anything unless it lasts longer than 2 weeks, and the healthcare benefits stop at the end of the month.  We don't really have a choice whether or not to strike either except by a vote to the union (which has been done already).

I am quite a bit nervous to be honest.  Even though no one in the company has had to strike, it is still looming at a BAD time and the progress hasn't been great.  I need that health insurance right now more than any other time, and same with the pay.  We have a hefty tax return on its way that we planned to pay off student loans, but I don't want to do anything with it until an agreement is made.

They don't tell us much, because if we know, it means the company would know what is coming since they have access to all the public stuff we would.  I do know the company is trying to get rid of sick days though which is frustrating. (I can only read public websites and call in on publicly calls) I am just hoping this gets resolved quickly (in days, not weeks) and hoping that bonus comes in.  The agreements tend to end with chunks of money going out to the members from the company as part of the salary portion.  Like they will agree to raise salaries 2% plus give everyone $500.  Last time it was $500, but apparently the last amount the company offered this round was $400 and the union turned it down because the raise was less than 2%.  I'm hoping that goes up because my co-worker just moved from Texas and they were on their own contract in the South and they got $1000 last year.

Right now they (or "we") are just trying to cause problems for the company that isn't a full on strike.  Apparently we are legally allowed to do that (mobilizing efforts).  Call centers are doing things like making noise at certain times of the day, rallying outside call centers and stores, wearing red (union colors) in addition to the regular uniforms, and doing things that get the word out that "we" aren't happy.  My area hasn't done much yet except for wait outside the district meeting until the last possible minute and have everyone walk in together.  I'm hoping we can get a few things going without being obnoxious (some areas on the east coast are blowing air horns when customers walk in stores and stuff like that which definitely looks bad on the company, but that is the point.)  The healthcare one was passed already, so I'm hoping they can get this rules and money one all figured out before I leave for 2 1/2 months so I can go with piece of mind that I will get paid the whole time (I decided I'm going to use the 6 weeks company short term disability and add 4 weeks of paid vacation all at the end so it'll be about 10 weeks off all together- I didn't want any time without pay.)

Phew. Ok, well I will keep the blog updated.  It's going to be a long day tomorrow since I have a short week and have to finish everything up in 2 1/2 days that I normally do in a week.  Plus, I am super sore from the long walk yesterday!  Here is something completely unrelated, but I took a couple pics of Sawyer outside when the house got smoky today (we aren't using sunflower oil to fry chicken anymore lol).  This was my favorite because I cannot get him to smile anymore so I just get a series of ridiculous faces.

Funny story from today:  He had a shirt on with a monster that looks like it is coming out of the pocket.  Sawyer says "He's not a bad monster, he's a nice monster.  He doesn't go RAWR, he goes 'Hello. I like my mommy.  I like my daddy.'"



No comments:

Post a Comment