Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Running for reals

Two posts in one day!  I was off today though so I have an excuse.

Anyway, I just signed Andy and myself up for the Leavenworth Oktoberfest marathon!  Yes, Andy will be attempting the full marathon!  I will be doing the half.  The training schedules lined up perfectly if he finds another half to do this summer, then do a full in October.

I know he can do it.  Frankly, I am more worried about me going half the distance than him since he is such a good runner, and we all know how I am.  I am so jealous he could pick up and run 5 miles when he is out of shape, but I struggle with 3 when I am in really good shape :(  My forte is stop-sprint-stop-sprint and agility stuff (which is why I like mud runs and rugby hah).  Those small breaks give me the energy back to go full-force again, where long distance runners tend to need to keep a pace. I honestly just plan on walking if it is taking too much out of me and I won't be disappointed in myself or anything.

The recovery with Sawyer wasn't easy.  They say you shouldn't exercise until 6 weeks post-baby (even if you feel fine, your uterus could fall), but I was still in quite a bit of pain at that point with him and could never go for a jog.  I'm hoping I don't have the issues this time around that Sawyer caused because he came out so fast (nothing had time to stretch properly as a normal person should, and even with doctor intervention it didn't help), but they said the next should be just as fast.  Maybe I'll get lucky though :)

I mainly signed up to give myself some sort of exercise goal to keep me pushing my hardest and get the baby weight off.  If I can even just run 5 miles straight I will be really proud of myself.  Andy has a big goal too, and I will be so proud when he finishes.  I will definitely have to get him a "26.2" sticker for the car window :)  Maybe I can get myself the "13.1 because I'm only half crazy" one :D

No comments:

Post a Comment