Thursday, May 2, 2013

My first sewing attempt and a doctor visit

First thing this morning we packed up and went to my mom's house.  She has a sewing machine and I had just bought some fabric at Joann's that I wanted to attempt to turn into a blanket.  My only previous sewing attempt was in the class I took where we just learned how to set up the machine (which I immediately forgot) and sewed a piece of cloth for no other purpose than to feel what the machine was like.  It did give me the confidence to want to attempt something some day though.

First thing, my mom (who isn't an avid sewer) showed me how to set things up.  The problem was that it had been so long that there were a few setbacks...including the bobbin threading under it rather than on it (still not sure how it managed to do that, but we got it fixed).

My mom started it for me to show me how, then I took over.  I had them turned inside out and pinned them yesterday.  I realized I can't cut a straight line even with a fabric cutter and a mat with a grid.  Oh well.


It was going along fine...until I forgot to put the presser foot back down after turning a corner and wondered why it was bouncing all over the place.  Rookie mistake :)  It turned into this funny shape that we had to go back over later (note the giant zig zag by the front of the foot).  We fixed it fine though, and it was on the inside so nobody could see.

Next I cut the corners so they wouldn't be bunchy

I left a gap, and pulled it inside out through the gap.

I ironed it all and folded the gap pieces in, then went around the whole edge of the blanket again.

SUCCESS!!!


Sawyer played outside since it is so nice (supposed to get to the 80's this weekend!) and my mom used the extra minky fabric to make my dad a pillow.  He was using a stuffed dog for a lower back pillow lol.


Next we went to my friend Jordan's.  She is pregnant so we made a trade.  I loaned her my maternity clothes and she loaned me her Insanity workout DVD's (since neither of us needed our things at the moment).  We stayed for about an hour and a half before we had to speed up to the doctor.  Kellan was getting his circ today (poor guy).

Our doctor with Sawyer (our regular one was on vacation at that time) wouldn't let us watch, but our doctor asked us this time if we wanted to.  I said no, Andy said yes...she just made sure he didn't get faint easily.  They came back and he was a little trooper.  He just didn't like the numbing pricks, but then was fine.

I tried to get a pic of him after wards, but he wouldn't look at me.  He finally did, and Sawyer runs over on the other side of the table and says "LOOK AT ME! I'M OVER HERE" so he looked at Sawyer last minute when I took the picture :(

It has been a long night though.  He immediately soiled his diaper which took off the gauze that was supposed to stay on all night.  Then he had a poo explosion which made him scream terribly for a long time.  Poor guy.  He is doing a little better but cries if he pees.  I feel so sad for him, but he is really taking well to his binky tonight.

Erik and Destiny came over to bring us a smaller car seat since we will be driving to Vancouver/Portland this weekend and we had delicious burgers and strawberry shortcakes.  YUM!




Andy said if he had a last meal, he'd choose his own hamburgers hehe.  This would have been a great day if it hadn't been for Kellan in pain.  Hopefully tomorrow goes smoothly.  It's supposed to be in the 70's again :)

2 comments:

  1. Your blanket turned out super cute! I've made a few like that and I love how simple they are (I don't cut straight lines well either lol.) Hope baby feels better soon! Miles is pretty much healed up now, thankfully. I hate putting them through that.

    ReplyDelete