Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I did it, I attempted a run

The past couple weeks I have been feeling pretty normal again.  Sunday was 6 weeks post-baby, but after the walk to/from the Sounders game Saturday night, I have had shin splints.  I know if you exercise on an injury, it can make it 10x worse, so I waited an extra day.  Today I had no excuse.

I don't know why, but I was nervous all day thinking about getting back into an exercise routine.  I mean, the worst thing that could happen was that I wouldn't be able to run at all, but I wasn't setting any type of expectations for myself.  If anything, I had very low ones.

Andy got home late, and I was starving (not ideal times to run) so I had to eat dinner then wait a little bit.  It was 10 at night and Andy had just went to the store with the boys so it was my time.  I was wearing my new running pants, swapped phones with Andy since he has an arm phone carrier and Spotify (my phone is giant and wouldn't fit in an iphone sleeve), got a new pair of iPhone earbuds, and topped it off with my headband. I have gone years not even being able to use earbuds, but realized if I put my headband OVER my ears, they stay in with ease, yay!

I put on some Bruno Mars and walked up my hill before taking off.  I only was gone for 15 minutes, but it was very cold out tonight and my lungs don't do well in cold.  They felt like they were about to burst!  I am a little happy that the only thing that held me back was the cold lungs though and not tired muscles or something like that.  I ended up going 1.4 miles (well, I walked the hill out of my cul-de-sac and the hill on the backside of my neighborhood so the total "running" was probably 1.25ish)  That is actually really good for me (considering there was a time I could only go a mile and it wasn't post-baby).  I got back home and my lungs hurt so bad I thought I was going to throw up but I held it together.

So there it is.  I made it over the hump that is the first work-out.  It wasn't much, but it was good for me and that is all that matters.  I'd better go stretch though because I feel those shin splints coming back and we can't have that!

Other awesome things that happened today:
-The costume website had a huge sale and I got EIGHT costumes for $60 after shipping.  That is normally the price I pay for ONE female costume.  I got 2 for Kellan, 2 for Sawyer, 3 for me, and 1 for Andy.
-I got Kel to smile at me quite a bit.  He sometimes smiles when you smile at him so I know he's capable, but he doesn't do it much.  Today was a good day in the smile department.

Here Sawyer wanted to take pics with Kellan and he made some funny faces.

Here he is smiley with his tongue out

1 comment: