Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It's natural

Today starts the no 'poo.

Contrary to the picture of the castor oil I will be posting below, it is not what you think.  Let me rewind a bit.

A few months ago, when pinterest started to be cool and I actually checked it often, I found a recipe for a 'make your own laundry detergent'.  I was super interested because you could wash your clothes for pennies!  After quite a bit of research though, I heard the same thing: borax is bad.  It's illegal in several countries like Germany.  It produces reproductive issues (how the Duggars use it is beyond me).  My dreams were crushed as I could not find a single recipe without borax.  I loved the idea of making my own products though.

Yesterday, an old friend of mine from Jr. High posted on her facebook to google the "oil cleansing method" and she said "you're welcome."  She said she has been using it for a month and her face has been perfect, soft, and not oily at all.  Basically, you combine castor oil and another carrier oil (like extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil, or flaxseed oil) and massage it into your face.  You then put a hot cloth on your face a few times and wipe away the oil.  It is supposed to be the perfect combo of moisturizers and cleans your skin while leaving good oils on your skin (they don't clog pores).  My friend says the next morning there isn't any oil slick or anything.

I had to try it, it sounds exactly like my issue.  My skin gets oily quick, but feels dry underneath.  Your skin produces a lot of oil to make up for the oil you get rid of when cleaning it and your skin dries out while becoming more oily.  Yuck.

While searching for the recipe again today, I found a link to a blog that the lady had been using that for a while and loved it.  She had posted a link to her new "poo-free" (no shampoo) regimen as well.  I decided that I might as well take a stab at it since I am already doing crazy things.  Basically you wash your hair with baking soda which doesn't use any of the harsh chemicals that is in shampoo, and rinse with apple cider vinegar.  Eventually your hair doesn't need to be washed often because it isn't producing oil to make up for the chemicals in the shampoo.

I have always been a daily shampooer.  Some people I know can go 2-3 days.  Lately I have been trying to skip a day or two a week, but by the end of the 2nd day, I need to wear a ponytail and head band.  I would really like to be able to go longer and have better looking hair in the process...this seems to be the answer.  My only reservation is the vinegar...the smell makes me sick, and my hair holds smells forever.  I think I am going to have to skip on the vinegar part (which is the conditioning agent) and just use my regular conditioner for awhile...until maybe I try a natural oil instead.  Or take a time when I don't have to work for a few days and try it then.  Some people said the smell left their hair as soon as they rinsed, while others it lasted days (eww).  The only bad part about this is there is a "training" period for your hair to get used to it.  It might take a few weeks (hopefully not months) to train your head to produce less oils, so I might have greasy looking hair for a few weeks.  I guess it will be daily ponytails for me for a little while.  Some people are able to transition quickly though, and I'm crossing my fingers!

Today I mixed my first batches.  I will try the oils tonight, and the baking soda in the morning.


I also bought vitamin E for my scars as I've heard great things about its scar-vanishing qualities.  The baking soda has the potential to save me a TON of money in shampoo.  That tiny bottle of castor oil was like $5, so it isn't going to be as much of a money saver as just a great skin product (hopefully).  It is cheaper than Proactiv though!  I will be sure and update how things are going in the future!

If you want to try these methods yourself, here are some links:

Oil method: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Baking soda shampoo: http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/

2 comments:

  1. The recipe I use for laundry detergent does actually have Borax in it, but it's such a small amount per load... like seriously, 1/2 cup divided by probably 75-100 loads, that I figure it's not a huge deal. It's quite a bit cheaper, and I haven't noticed any residue on my clothes from any of it. The other stuff sounds cool too, but I'm a chicken with the hair stuff.... I'm not willing to go through the training period haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah laundry soap is like 12 bucks a jug or something. I am just nervous about it if they have it illegal in other countries :/ I know the other countries sell borax substitute so I was hoping I could find that somewhere like online but I haven't seen anything. Maybe I'll try it or look more into it, I mean the Duggars have what, 19 kids? I just don't want to doom Sawyer at a young age or something lol!

    ReplyDelete