Sunday, November 25, 2012

Strictly for girls

*** Disclaimer: If the title wasn't obvious enough, this is a post for the female variety.  Though I am doubtful there are many males keeping up with this, I had to post.***

The following post contains info that just may change your life.  No, seriously.


The first subject I will briefly go over is dry shampoo.  Have you tried this?  I hope it wasn't Tresseme because I have heard only terrible things about that brand, but I have been using Suave with great success.  It is pretty cheap as far as dry shampoo goes, too (like $3?).  I decided I would be gross and try not to shower for awhile since it was the weekend/holiday.  I finally washed myself today (and will for work tomorrow), but I haven't washed my hair in 4 days and used dry shampoo.  My hair used to get greasy by night time, but since I have been holding back on the hair washes, the oil production has lightened up.  Here is my hair on day 4, nice and fluffy.  If this were without the dry shampoo, it would look like it was wet! :


The second thing I will go over, is probably more life-changing.

You are wearing the wrong size bra.

Yes, you.

I have read over and over about how 80 or 90 percent of women are wearing the wrong size, and said "yeah yeah" knowing it is those busty women that are too embarassed, monetarily poor, or simply unaware they need to search out special places to find sizes over DD.  I blamed the whole obesity epidemic blah blah blah.

I was wrong.

I was browsing reddit and found the subreddit called a bra that fits.  It told you how to properly measure yourself (not the Victoria Secret way that will place you into one of their small range of sizes).  I have never been a busty individual, but after Sawyer and now pregnant currently, I have changed sizes at least slightly (though I was never fitted by anyone) and was a bit curious where I would be placed.

Here is how to do it in a nutshell:
- Measure (with a tailoring measure tape, or use a piece of ribbon and cut it at the right spot then measure) under your boobs.  There should be no tissue under the measurer.  This measurement should be snug because *surprise!* this is the number of band size you are!  This is probably way smaller than you thought.  It needs to be snug because this is the SUPPORT part of the bra.  Also, when you try on this band size, it should be on the loosest hook, because the elastic is going to stretch after about a month and you'll need room to move in hooks.
-Measure around the fullest part.  Generally, you need to bend over at the waist to do this because it ensures any tissue waiting in your armpits or around to your back gets put in the right spot. This is not a tight measurement, but just loose enough that it doesn't move around.
-Subtract measurement 1 from measurement 2.  This will leave you with a number of inches.  Each inch is a cup size (0"=AA 1"=A 2"=B etc) and go in this order adding an inch each size. AA | A | B | C | D | DD/E | DDD/E/F | DDDD/F/G | G/H/J | I/J/K | J | K.  You generally go up if you are in between, but this is why you want to find a place to buy that you can try on several sizes (like a Nordstrom) or online with a good return policy.

Ta-da!  You have your new REAL size!  Most people (me included) say.  "Ummmm no.  You are clearly wrong"  Most people end up going down some band sizes and up some cup sizes (maybe even 3!)  I did not believe it because I CLEARLY do not have basketballs attached to my chest, which is what tends to be the social perception of my new found size.  I had to find out for sure.  I was actually embarrassed to tell Andy my results until I found out for sure because it sounded ridiculous when it came out of my mouth.

*One thing to note is the proper way to put on a bra.  You should put it on, then "swoop and scoop"  this is when you literally push (in a rub-like motion) all tissue etc from your back, under your armpits, and push it into the cup.  This will probably increase the volume right away.  You can find youtube videos if you are confused.  It should eliminate that spillage or back/side fat appearance and is the correct way to wear one!*

We headed to the Southcenter mall and I went to Gilly Hicks.  Nope, didn't have the size (what?  this is a first for me.)  I went over to Pink, and they have 32 (smallest) bands up to a D.  I felt like an idiot walking to the fitting room trying on a D.  After the "swoop and scoop," I found myself to be spilling over, but the band was tight and supportive.  Uhhhhhhhhh?  I could have sworn I was a B that morning, and here I am spilling over in the D.  Embarrassed, I asked the lady, and she said to go to the main store because they have bigger sizes.  I went to the main Victorias Secret store, and yes, the DD's fit much better.  I put on my old bra and it felt like it was falling off and useless (a 34 band on the tightest hook).  

I swear I am not making this up.  If you don't believe me, come over and I will walk around in my perfectly fitting DD bra and show you the tag.  There is no gaping or anything.  Now, I am about "average" (maybe slightly smaller?) around the rib cage, and always usually smaller in the bust than normal for a 5'6" girl.  If THIS is my size, I can't imagine how many people smaller than me should be special ordering their bras!  So many people on reddit were posting about how they are now 28 F's or whatever and after getting new ones, they look and feel (less back pain anyone?) AWESOME!  I used to just move up band sizes when I was pregnant with Sawyer, which effectively was adding 2 inches of cup sizes each time, but also would make the band unsupportive- not good!

I hope this helped one of you and changed your life like it did me.  Talk about a boost of self-esteem for the smaller folk, yeah?

Now you can browse any pics of me and realize that what I am toting are  NOT BASKETBALLS!  See how we are ALL probably wrong?  Now go measure yourself and go shopping!  For those of you that are bustier or tiny in the ribcage, brastop.com (I think it is in UK measurements) has been raved about as the best place to buy online.

Oh, and since one I bought today was "Pink" I got a free doggie for Sawyer!  He was so excited and kept making it woof.







1 comment:

  1. Measured two different times now. I am in the right bra :) Thanks for the info though, its good to know that I am wearing the right size! No wonder I have never had back pain from my big boobs LOL

    ReplyDelete