Thursday, November 8, 2012

A day of court

Today was a looooong day.  I was supposed to be a witness for my friend's custody trial.

We arrived at the courthouse at 8:30.  After waiting awhile, they told us they had overbooked and another trial took priority (they had a jury, so makes sense...but why would they overbook?)  We went down to the law library to wait for an hour to see if there was possibly a judge that could take us today.  Otherwise, it would have to move to Tuesday.  Tuesday was no bueno because I had taken a vacation day for today already, and our ultrasound is for Tuesday.  We waited around until my friend's attorney showed up to let us know a judge would take us!

We went down a big marble hall to one of the fancy courtrooms and waited outside for awhile as witnesses until they called us.  Turns out, they never even needed me (even though I had a kid that played with theirs, they thought they had enough evidence on her being a good mom and stuff already.)  We went in to watch, and my friend did awesome while her attorney questioned her, and the father attempted to represent himself. Unfortunately, the judge had a meeting at noon, and the questioning was not quite done- the dad didn't get his side yet.  We had to wait for an hour and a half before we could start again.  I attempted a small lunch before my stomach growled in the quiet room again.

We went back in while the father tried to argue his side.  They had tried a trial before but got an extension, and unfortunately for him, he couldn't pay his lawyer.  What was a fierce and rude trial last time was kind of falling apart for him this time...which was good for us.  After the questioning and quick closing statements, the judge had another quick meeting and went over his notes.

We won!  The judge accepted my friend's plan!  It was such a relief and it is the plan for the next 16 years.  the dad wanted 50/50 and that just wasn't reasonable considering my friend had the daughter alone her whole 2 years of life.  Yay!  We finally left at 2:30.

I got Sawyer and we went home for a short time before our appointment.  We got to the doctor and Andy wasn't back from Portland yet.  I felt bad because they did the womp-womp machine and he literally walked in seconds later.  The dumb lady at the front desk wasn't helping him and if she had just let him back he would have made it.  It wasn't a big deal though, he mainly makes sure to be there in case we find out something is wrong and he would need to be there.

I also got a flu shot!  My first regular one ever!  I got the swine flu shot last time I was pregnant.  I hope this keeps the colds away for this year.  It is hard having a kid plus working in public...I tend to get anything going around.  Good news is even though I am quite large now, I am still like a pound below where I was when I first got pregnant with Sawyer.  Hopefully I won't get as chubby this time around then :)

We went to Panera for the first time and had some delicious sandwiches, then watched the Sounders beat Real Salt Lake to move on in the playoffs. YAY!  I can't wait for bed time, and I actually get to sleep in tomorrow.  By sleep in, I mean wake up at 8:10 like a usual work week that I haven't been able to all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment