Monday, April 29, 2013

Priorities

Something we have all had to deal with since our family became four is setting priorities and being patient.  Generally, Kellan eating takes top priority since he is tiny and doesn't have the ability to learn patience...and he will start screaming if he doesn't eat right away which is unpleasant for all of us.  The only thing that trumps his eating is if Sawyer has to go potty- I don't want to have to clean up any accidents because he had to wait 5 more minutes than he could hold it in.  Sawyer has been really good, waiting patiently for his juice or bagel or whatever he needs while I do something for the baby.  He always just says "okay" when I tell him 5 more minutes.

Unfortunately today, this system was briefly tested.  I was feeding Kellan a bottle and Sawyer comes running up "I have to go pee!"  I quickly put Kellan in his bouncer and as I walk to the bathroom, the phone rings.  I put it on speaker phone and set it on the bathroom sink and answer.  I unbuttoned Sawyer's pants and hear a scream of death from Kellan.  He is crying harder than ever!  I wondered if he had somehow fallen out of the bouncer.  I run out of the bathroom and found milk spit up everywhere, out of his nose, on his clothes, and there was even a drop on top of his head (...how?)  I told my mom I had to hang up.  I run back into the bathroom and throw Sawyer on the toilet as fast as I could (not even using his potty seat) and run back out and peel Kellan's clothes and diaper off.  He screams bloody murder while I wipe him down with baby wipes and I leave him naked while I go take Sawyer off the toilet.  I was then able to take Kellan upstairs to get him dressed again.  While I'm fastening his onesie snaps, Andy gets home just 5 minutes too late to help.  I am sure this is just the beginning.

On a positive note, I found Sawyer like this today:
I'm glad I insisted on getting that firefighter (or as Sawyer calls it a "fighter-fighter") hat from the chocolate walk even though Sawyer said he didn't want one at the time.

I wish I could get him to pick up his toys better though lol, I got him to pick up like 5 toys throughout the day, but 3 of those times he ended up bringing out a new toy.  Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment