Tuesday, April 9, 2013

He's here- Kellan's birth story

I can't believe he's finally here!  Here is the story of our hospital visit.  And as usual, probably too many pictures.

The actual birth wasn't too interesting of a story.  I woke up at 5:30 Sunday morning (April 7th) and it was pouring rain very loudly (unlike the lovely warm sun we have been having lately, it went from 70's back down to like 40's).  My stomach hurt a little bit and between that and the rain, I couldn't sleep.  The pain didn't get worse, but I could tell it was too low to be my actual stomach, and by 6:30 I decided to hop in the shower to see if it would go away or get worse.  I got out, and got ready for the day, even though it was early.  Though the pain wasn't getting worse, it wasn't getting better so I woke Andy up and told him we might have to go to the hospital.  He hopped in the shower and I started getting the last minute stuff together and stuff for Sawyer and called my dad to say we might come by.  The pain kind of got better then would come back a bit worse from time to time so I figured I was probably having normal contractions and should go get checked out.  No water breakage though

We loaded up and dropped Sawyer off.  I noticed they seemed like timed contractions at that point and Andy started timing my "oww"s to about 4-5 minutes apart. We got checked in and signed some papers and they took me to a smaller room (like the after-birth rooms) and a nice lady came in and checked me.  She said I was 100% effaced and about 5 1/2 or 6 cm so I got to get checked in!  She asked me how I wanted my birth to be which I very much appreciated because I've heard stories of hospitals that try to force meds and stuff and she said she just wanted to do what I wanted.  I told her I would go natural again, and felt a bit better about it because this time I actually had the choice to lol.  They walked me down the hallway to a birth room and said they had called my doctor and she would be in soon.  WHAT? She was supposed to be on vacation all week but I guess she had just called back in that morning, YAY!  I kind of just sat in the big room and had contractions but nothing too big.   Obviously quite uncomfortable.  No water breakage yet again.

My doctor showed up and said "let's have a baby!"  She checked me and he was in position and was at a 9. She decided to pop my water....whoa.  That was weird because you're just laying there as a huge gush comes out lol.  I was pleased to see it didn't hurt...but that lasted about 10 seconds.  A super powerful contraction followed that made me very tired.  Oh boy, what did I get myself into?  She asked if I felt like pushing, but after the whole Sawyer incident where I literally crossed my legs to keep him in, it was nothing like that yet.  She said it should feel relieving to push, not necessarily like I have to.  I tried a little on the next contraction and realized it was relieving.  I told her I would try on the next one.  So, we don't need to go into details but he did come out.  I couldn't even tell when the contractions were, I just kept trying to push when I could muster the energy.  It was probably about 4 sets of contractions with a few pushes in each that got him out.  It felt like forever because let me tell you, half-hanging out babies are pain.ful.  She then informed me "the faster the birth, the longer the repairs."  She sewed me up forever- ugh.  I could totally feel the tears as they happened, but since I was maxed out in pain already, it wasn't more pain as much as annoyed I knew what was happening.  With Sawyer she cut an episiotomy and I had a lot of small tears.  This time it was 2 bigger (2nd degree) tears.  Yuck.  Kellan had come out with a giant head and had his shoulders in a weird position, and his arms were X'ed across his chest which I think is what caused the hold up that Sawyer didn't have.

He came out looking just like Sawyer did so it was super weird.  He was covered in the white stuff too.  It was exactly 10am and he was 8lbs 2oz and 21 inches.  He kind of chilled out for most of it but cried when he first came out and cried from the bath.  They did the regular tests on him and he tried to stand up- a nurse said she had never seen that before lol.  We basically got to hang out in that room until a smaller long term one opened up.  We brought in Sawyer first.  He was so cute.  He smiled at him as he held him and asked him "Did you come out of mommy's tummy?"  My mom and dad, and Erik and Destiny came in soon after. My parents took Sawyer with them when they left.  It was probably an hour or maybe a bit longer and we got moved to our regular room.

He has been such a good baby.  He only cried a couple times like when he got pricked for tests.  He didn't even wake us up to eat the first night and he went probably longer than he should have lol.  We were able to sleep both nights (though the second night we made sure to wake up to feed him at least twice.  Our visitors were Jenna, Kyndyl, Clint, Dad Monson and Karen, my parents, aunt Irene, Destiny and her mom and Erik, and Davey and Moraima.  We appreciate the gifts they brought for both Kellan and Sawyer.  He has also passed his hearing test with flying colors, and passed a new test that shows if they have heart defects (it was free because it is in the trial stage).

Pictures: warning these are VERY out of order because they came from different cameras.

Jenna and baby

Destiny when he was brand new

His first diaper change


Hearing test (he passed!)

Opening gifts from grandpa


Sawyer feeding him

Sawyer thought burping was hilarious

Just some food :)

Swollen Amy and the boys

He looked so cute all naked in his bin

Strapping him in his car seat

Brand new baby fresh out of the oven

Had to stop to get some "thtrawberry meelk" on the way home

Brand new on the scale

Moving to our room!

This is when we first got there.  Look how swollen my face got in the past 2 weeks :(



Did not enjoy the bath

Putting on his first diaper

Sawyer meeting baby brother for the first time

He loved him

He gives him kisses on the head all the time, so cute!

First bottle

He was laying on Andy making hilarious faces so I took a pic of one




We're home!  Before we got in the house.

Kellan bought Sawyer a present he has been asking for forever

The Cars bath boat for the swimming cars he has!

He said "Thank you Kellan, you're the best!"

Now our adventure starts at home.  I am already having a tough time between the stairs and not my milk just decided to come in (super OOWWW) so I'm trying to ice pack the crap out of that right now.  Let's hope we make it through our first night okay!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe what a baby making, delivering machine you are. Can you have my next baby please? I am sad Bev left before Kellan was born! Bad timing... :( lol As usual you guys make cute babies and you look awesome. Good luck you guys! Family of 4, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love looking at these pictures and reading your description and feeling the emotion of this wonderful time! *sigh* I wish I could have been there. Now I'm anxiously looking forward to the time when I can come again. I hope you are doing well, Amy and able to rest and enjoy your boys.

    ReplyDelete