Saturday, August 4, 2012

Summer is definitely here

It was in the 90's today.

I am not a huge fan of the heat.  I remember when I first moved to Las Vegas it was in the middle of August and it was awful.  As a girl from Texas explained how you live in the summer down there the other day "you basically jump from one air conditioned building to another and stay inside."  Now it was a bit hotter down there (like upwards of 100...I remember it being 105 at midnight one time on the strip) but it it a little more muggy and not much more pleasant.  The problem is that nobody has air conditioners up here because our summers are usually pleasant.  I guess it is give and take wherever you live, up here you're basically stuck inside in the winter, and down there you're stuck inside in the summer.  Though at least you can put a jacket on up here which is why I moved right back...plus looking at all that brown was just depressing to me ;)

Now back to our somewhat unpleasant heat and how we spent it today.  We ventured out long enough to stop at a nursery and get my valentine's day present (a bit late lol.)  We got a blueberry plant, a PINK blueberry plant (they are called pink lemonade blueberries and are definitely edible), and Andy let me get a pink hydrangea plant since they are my favorite (well, all colors of hydrangeas are.)  We also stopped at the home depot and got a hose and sprinkler since our grass is dying, as well as some nutrient dirt.



We got home and passed the worst of the day away with a nap.  I have been exhausted lately and Andy accidentally fell asleep while trying to get Sawyer to sleep.  As the sun was setting I decided it was time to plant our new plants....well, Andy plant them.  We had to take out one of our ugly ones that grow those dumb balls on them.  We used to have those at my parents and knew all they were good for is throwing balls at each other and wasn't excited to have our kids do that lol.
The before

Andy planting the hydrangea.  It was too dark by the time the "after " was done 


Andy planted and Sawyer played with chalk.  When he was done and I was watering, he decided he wanted to get completely soaked.  He would stick his whole head in the sprinkler...you'd think it would be too cold for him!


I had it set on "mist" so he is playing in the mist here



My favorite part of summer is taking walks after the sun is down.  The temperature is always perfect, and it is light enough to see still, plus it just smells good outside!  We've done it the past two nights and it is fun getting exercise while meeting our neighbors.  Plus, sawyer loves it.  Today after we had been walking for about 15 minutes, Sawyer looked up and went "awesome."

A little update on Sawyer, he is becoming quite the daredevil and trying to jump of everything.  He can safely jump off our furniture since it is only about 2 feet high, but the other day he tried to jump off something about 3 1/2-4 feet high (stage of a church) and I am hoping he only did it because I was there to catch him.  He didn't ask me to first though so that got me worried lol.  His words are getting better as he is starting to say small sentences.  he says "I did it!" a lot, and yesterday when I said I was hungry he goes "I'm hungry too!" and today when he was eating cheese and ran out he said, "I need some more."

I have been doing a lot of pictures lately and we are going to book club tomorrow to get some of Aunt Kristi and family afterwards.  We listened to the audio book on the way back from Utah.  That means Vancouver, and Andy said we can go to the waffle window in Portland again which means more basil blackberry lemonade! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment