Monday, May 28, 2012

The spirit of Massachusetts is the spirit of America

Today we left Connecticut.  I just love the little colonial seaside towns, and we drove through a bunch of them.  The problem with New England is all the big bushy trees though.  We were pretty much just yards from the coast and only caught a few glimpses because the trees are in the way.  You can't even see the towns unless you drive straight through them!

We headed off and since we missed breakfast (they charged us weekend rates, but closed breakfast at weekday hours) we decided to stop at one of the thousands of Dunkin Donuts.  They are about every 3 streets here...I think they have more of them than we have Starbucks, which says a lot.  They don't have other coffee stands at all though here, I have seen zero!  We got some delicious breakfast sandwiches and I tried a blueberry iced coffee. OH YUM.  I got another one later that day.  It is funny because I always hear on TV "America runs on Dunkin" and was like "huh?" because there are NONE around us, but I see why now!



We drove though the town of Mystic, which is adorable, but we got stuck at a drawbridge while like 15 boats went through.  We hopped out of our car and watched.


We drove through the coastal town as some pretty mist rolled off the ocean


We made it to Rhode Island!  Which isn't an island by the way, I found out.  Gotta love Puyallup schools- I never learned the capitals either hahaha.  


See what I mean about the trees?  This is over a bridge.


Finally we made it to Massachusetts and Cape Cod!


The whole place is cute little houses in tree-filled neighborhoods.


We stopped off at a beach in the town of Dennis.  The water was so warm, and we had fun looking for crabs.  My dad even got pinched by one because he picked up the wrong end haha!








Dad just got pinched here


Next we headed to "captain Frosty's" for some food. It was GOOOOOD!  Fresh fish daily, and little fried clam bread things.  I had some cod since we were on cape cod.  Andy had flounder.



After that we drove through Plymouth.  We saw an exact replica of the Mayflower which was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.  I'm surprised they fit like 130 people on there.


Speaking of small things, Plymouth Rock was a lot smaller than all of us thought.  We were laughing so hard.  It is about a third of a size it used to be because they moved it once and they used to let people chisel pieces off, but still, I was expecting like a huge ledge or something...not a pebble haha!




Afterwards we drove to Boston, yay!  We came out at this cool bridge after we went in a tunnel that took us completely under the downtown area.  It still blows my mind that you can go under skyscrapers and the town doesn't collapse.


We headed to our hotel, which is actually in Lexington (we will go to the battle ground tomorrow I think along with Salem and the city).  We went over to the mexican restaurant for some late-night refreshments.  My dad cracked me up saying, "My margarita evaporated!" haha!  They don't have happy hour in Massachusetts though (it is illegal), in the words of my brother "The spirit of America my ass" hahahaha!  Our last full day is tomorrow :(  I am excited to get back to Sawyer and squish his little arms, but I am so not excited to go back to work and do a week's worth of work!


No comments:

Post a Comment