Monday, April 9, 2012

Cake and melting Neno

I had been seeing rainbow cakes all over the internet lately, and when a friend of ours pulled one off perfectly (as you can see here) I decided to try one in Easter colors to bring to my mom's house.

I usually just like box cake, so I bought two boxes of vanilla and mixed them up.  I separated them into 5 bowls and colored them up, then put them into pans (had to borrow some from mom).  I had to figure them out since the color box only came with blue red green and yellow.


They came out and I saw online that you have to be careful of the brown part (from the pan) as it makes them look pretty ugly.  I pretty much had to rub all the brown off of most of it, then try to cut the rest off.

It wasn't much fun trying to saw the cakes right.  I stacked them up.  I am no perfectionist so it was good enough for me. The yellow was extra big because the pan didn't turn it brown, so Andy had to cut them all to the same size.
 I have read that if you put a cake in the freezer for awhile, you wont get crumbs.  We did that before frosting it, then threw it in the freezer again in the morning for the second coat.  It worked!

I am pretty excited with how it turned out, everyone LOVED it (Andy made the frosting, just basic powdered sugar, vanilla, butter, and milk).  They were impressed with the look and taste.  I don't know if I will be doing it much though, it took up way too much time.





Are you wondering what Sawyer was doing while we made cake?

He was ruining his Cars movie.  He has a history of hiding things on the top of the fireplace (you can slip stuff under the vent) but we have scolded him each time.  Well this time, I smelled something like burning plastic, and turns out he shoved Cars in there.

This is what it looked like with the cover off.  Apparently it fit under the cover.



It is his own punishment.  Now he can't watch it twice a day.  It was so hard to get out of there, and there is still a blob of plastic that we are afraid to turn the fireplace back on.  I'm going to try a paint scraper later :(

2 comments:

  1. coolest cake ever! and you guys are going to plant blueberries?? Sooo jealous. Since we live on a mountain, deer seem to be a problem.. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should take that movie back where ever you got it , it is apparently defective

    ReplyDelete