Sunday, January 27, 2013

One week- we did it!

We officially did 7 days of "real" food!  No sugar, high fructose corn syrup, processed foods (well, since cooking is a process, I will specify highly processed), and most of everything was organic!

Here are the meals I haven't posted about yet:

Stir fry with a variety of vegetables and shrimp (so good) with brown rice

Fruit salad (I ate a lot of this) bananas, pineapples, kiwi, apples, and mangoes

Chicken nuggets (some spices, whole wheat flour, parmesan, chicken), mashed organic potatoes, and honey mustard.  I had no idea mixing honey and dijon made such a delicious dip!  Andy had some avocados too.


Yesterday we had my parents over for crock pot pork tacos.  We even made the tortillas!



That was the full 7 days, but we want to keep going, just less strict.  This morning we used the leftover tortillas and vegetables for breakfast burritos YUM

Tonight we had grass-fed hormone free beef from the butcher boys, and mashed potatoes (my favorite).  I am definitely a "steak and potatoes" person.

We celebrated our full week with a treat.  Since today was day 8, we decided to get ice cream in the middle and Mt. Dew (I checked, Dew is still way under the allowed amount of caffeine per day)

Tonight we even made our own granola!  It smells AWESOME, and tastes just about the same.  It has all sorts of stuff like coconut, nuts, seeds, cinnamon, ginger, honey...mmm




This week was definitely time consuming, and it isn't exactly cheap.  We had a rough day Thursday especially when we had a doctor appointment after work, had to stop at target really quick, make dinner, eat, and Andy had to run 5 miles.  Without breaks it took until midnight :(

We still plan to keep it up though.  We're going to keep buying organic when the fruits and vegetables are available (which is a lot when you go to places like Top Food and Fred Meyer) and milk since I've heard so many bad things about the cow hormones.  We also want to keep up the meals, since our busy life has resorted us to too much fast food lately.  I noticed I don't want it as much when I eat solid breakfast and lunches though because we don't get home from work starving and needing immediate replenishment.  We will also allow occasional treats (so we can have that brownie when someone brings them into work).

Oh, and here I am at just about 31 weeks (I got out my good camera for the first time in months).  I had 3 people ask if I'm "about to pop" this week.  Really?  I have had friends that stick out like 2 or 3 feet at 40 weeks, but whatevs.  The customers are nicer to me when they are worried about engaging some sort of hormonal breakdown, so I prefer to look very pregnant :)  Our current favorite name is Kellan I think.  We change our minds a lot though.  We are going for "common enough that people know it but not too common that there's 6 in the class"  We've come to the conclusion we aren't going to completely die for a particular name and neither of us want each other's favorites (mine's Brecken and Andy's is Axel).  So I guess we'll see.  Time is flying so we probably need to figure this out!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment