Sunday, January 20, 2013

Working on healthy

Friday started a normal weekend.  I brought Sawyer to Target and he got "Sarge" which was lucky they had a car we didn't already have.  I also got a new robe for the hospital since I lent mine out from last time and never got it back, and bought baby a going home outfit.  I think the whole 'just about 30 weeks' thing freaked me out because we were so unprepared last time that I want a bag ready to go like now haha.

This was at Target (or as Sawyer calls it, the Red Store) and his cute little red mustache   He said "I ate cold-aid" if you ask where it came from.

Saturday, I woke up with a not-so-great surprise.  I caught a cold.  I had made it through November, December, and half of January, but it finally got me and my weakened immune system :(  I felt pretty terrible.  Andy ran 6 miles in his training, and we finally were ready to go shopping at like 6 :/ Oops.

We are going to do a week of "real" food...or as close to it as we can get.  This means organic and not processed.  Living in Puyallup though, there are only so many options so we are just doing our best.  The day before we had picked up a whole wheat honey loaf of bread from Great Harvest because they grind the wheat daily.

Our first stop Saturday was Trader Joe's.  It was tough figuring out what to get because we were going to hit up Tacoma Boys next but didn't know what they had.  We would rather our produce come from Tacoma boys so we just held off on all of it.  We did pick up some local eggs, organic whole milk (any reduced fat versions mean more processing), whole wheat pasta and tortillas, whole maple syrup, organic raw apple juice, raw almond butter, and a few more things.

Next we went to Tacoma Boys (which is a nightmare with a toddler).  Andy ended up getting a ton of produce organic, but we had to settle with a couple of our fruits and vegetables.  I just chased Sawyer around which was super frustrating because the whole store is made up of glass jars and bottles, and their carts don't have seats.  Plus I was weak and exhausted. Bleh.  When we got home, I went straight to bed.

Sunday I woke up feeling just as crappy.  Andy cooked our first "real" meal: whole wheat pancakes from scratch with blueberries and whole maple syrup.  Now I know I won't like most of the food we eat, especially "whole wheat", but the syrup caught me off guard...especially since it was supposed to mask the wheat flavor.  I checked the Mrs. Butterworth and it actually has NO maple syrup in it...it is more like a bunch of corn syrup and fake flavors.  No wonder it tastes so good!  The 100% maple syrup however really grossed me out, and I preferred the pancakes out of it!  I only have about 50% of my tastebuds though so who knows what they taste like on a normal day.

Next we went to the butcher to get our meats.  I just wanted some grass-fed beef, but Andy walked out with a bunch of stuff and forgot the beef.  He said he will get it tomorrow though.

While I was laying down, Andy decided to take Sawyer on a walk around the neighborhood and they finally located the mythical park!  I feel ridiculous that it took us a year to locate our neighborhood's park, but it is really hidden and you have to practically walk through someone's yard.  It's there though, and I'm excited to go there in the summer.

For dinner, Andy made a delicious jambalaya that had all sorts of seasonings and vegetables, with brown rice, shrimp, and sausage. Mmmm.  We have enough for lunch tomorrow, which is what we were hoping for since we only bought stuff for dinner and breakfast-y things.

Here are a couple other interesting pics from the weekend.

Sawyer pretending to sleep


and Sawyer "I'm a pirate!"

He tried doing two at once.  He likes using the vacuum nozzles and once even tried that rolly one at the front of the picture, HAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment