Friday, June 22, 2012

Veggin'

We joined a CSA share with my parents.  CSA is community supported agriculture, and basically you pay a bunch of money to a farm, and you get a box of produce each week for 18 weeks.  It helps the farms out, and you get stuff straight from the farm that is grown organic.  It is pretty pricey to go on your own and is supposed to feed a family of 4 for a week, so we went half-sies with my parents and just split what they put in the box.  Last week we got our first share.

I wanted to join because I don't really like vegetables, and wanted a reason to eat them.  I also wanted to try new things and new recipes.

Our first one had lettuce (which we used at Sawyer's party), other leafy things like kale, bok choy, artichokes, carrots, bean pods, some weird half onion half garlic thing, and more things I can't remember.  Yesterday we finally got around to eating some stuff.

Andy grilled up the carrots with a way he found online.  You boil them to make them soft, grill them, and paint butter on them.  They were pretty good!

I don't cook at all but was still hungry so I decided to attempt vegetables.  I threw cut up bok choy and bean pods in a pan with e.v.o.o., curry powder, ginger powder, and soy sauce.  I had no idea what I was doing and since we had so many vegetables I thought I could stand to waste them if they weren't good.  Lucky me, they were cooked perfectly, and the taste was ok.  The veggies themselves were pretty good apart from the leaves of the bok choy staining my rubber band yellow on my braces :(

Here is what we got today:

This is a bunch of lettuce (the good kind), more leafy green things like kale, beets, carrots, bean pods, scallions, a twisty stem looking thing that is garlic flavor (weird), spinach, basil, cilantro, and mint.

I think I am going to have a grand taco salad soon.  I am trying to make GOOD salad dressing from a restaurant copycat recipe since I hate salad unless it is at a steak house haha.  I am excited to eat a bunch of new recipes this summer!  I picked up a few more things at Tacoma Boys (which Sawyer insisted on carrying the delicate tomatoes and pepper and BOUNCED them off the floor around the store) and Safeway, which by the way I am willing to pay more for stuff because Sawyer behaves so well when he is driving the little car-carts around Safeway.  Everyone around was laughing as he tried to steer in there.

Hopefully we can eat something tasty after my tournament in the rain tomorrow haha!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I would be in heaven getting fresh organic veggies once a week! wtg! I tried a program similar to that here, for fruits and veggies and loved it, but quit because the farmer's market started up and was way cheaper. Andy should make the Korean dish that Aunt Kristi taught us to make with thin sliced beef then marinated, and grilled then combined with rice and sauces wrapped in a large leaf of lettuce. Sooooo waaaay yummy. I have the recipe, I'll email it to him. Cheesecake factory has an appetizer that is very similar and also delish.

    ReplyDelete