Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rucking off the flab

I love sports.  Playing them anyway- the last thing I would want to do is sit around and watch a basketball game on TV even though I played through elementary and junior high (go Stahl Storm lol).   I think they kept me in shape most of my life.  I have never enjoyed going to the gym.  It takes so long when you lift weights since you can only target one area at a time.  I also cannot stand running...I was not built for it at all.  I was hitting up the zumba classes at LA Fitness for awhile, but the gym started getting really expensive for the amount we used it, and decided to cancel.  I was starting to really get out of shape around the time I got pregnant with Sawyer.

Some people exercise when they are pregnant, but not me.  From about a couple weeks after I found out at 8 weeks until around week 19 ish, I just felt crappy.  I didnt throw up much, but the only thing I wanted to do was lay on the couch.  It took a lot of effort to even walk around the house after working 8 hour days on my feet.  After I started to feel better, it was time to actually feel pregnant, and I could not do anything to bounce a baby around.  He just felt so heavy there and I didnt want to do anything to hurt him.  Later along I started needing ice cream pretty much daily.  By the time Sawyer was born, I was not happy how much weight gain total I had, but I also didnt really care at the same time.  If there is any time you are allowed to get fat, it is then lol.

Sawyer was born and I wasn't happy where I was (as is everyone I have ever met).  I don't do diets, nor will I ever do diets.  I don't like most healthy food.  I didn't know what I was going to do. I was not wanting to get any larger, because I have not really lived that way before.  I didn't want to try running because I knew where that would end up...me not going through with it.  I tried Andy's indoor soccer team, but it was only for like 40 minutes once a week and it just wasn't my sport.  I was glad to hear my friend's rugby team was looking for people, and Andy's excitement about the sport (it is his sport, and he would be playing in a heartbeat if he didn't have a labor job that requires no injuries) made me want to try.

I am happy to say that I am shrinking!  My work pants (that were snug when I bought them a couple years ago) almost fell off my bum when I stuck my heavy phone in the pocket yesterday.  I still have that stupid pooch that is 50% loose skin from Sawyer.  I hope that disappears in time.  My legs are looking a lot smoother, and you can see my abs again (above the pooch zone).  I received the best compliments last week when a co-worker said "you are getting so skinny", and today when I had to show 4 people my pants to prove that I was wearing size 10 pants because I looked half that size. (Apparently people don't realize the size of the booty lol)  I have never cared about numbers, it was just good to hear that people thought I was in better shape lol.

I still have a hard time with motivation.  People aren't consistent at practice which makes it harder for me.  Every day I make up excuses as to how I can stay home, but then I realize that if i want to see a difference, I have to move my buns.  Today it was windy, rainy, and a bit cold.  I really didn't want to go, but I remembered how much fun I had last practice, and how it is helping me and I got my butt there.  There were 5 people at practice.  My first thought was "i could have stayed home too", but my second thought was "well i guess it makes ME look better to the coaches and I will improve."  I have come so far in the 2 months I have been playing, and it feels good to come home with every muscle in my body worn out but having fun doing it.  I also am starting to get more compliments from the coaches.  I love the sport now, how it has a place for everyone.  Fat and skinny, short and tall, and even old and young (we have people 18-45) are all welcome there.  How you ruck and shove and tackle and tear apart people on the field, but there is always a social afterwards with the other team to keep the rivalry on the fields.  Hopefully I can stay in this sport for awhile.  It is tough- you get bruises and sore muscles and sprains, but it is fun and I feel like a warrior afterwards.

Here was practice today (we had to mix with the men for half of it).  You might not be able to see the rain, but it is hard to have motivation on days like this! 

3 comments:

  1. I think you look awesome! When I saw you a few weeks ago at indoor soccer I thought you looked way tiny!! good job Amy! :) and bigger booty's are in right? lol MINE goes on forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets face it: eating healthy sucks LOL
    I rather eat unhealthy foods every day, BUT I also don't want to be obese!!!
    I still run just because I did it so many years in soccer, but I am so unmotivated since soccer is over. I just try to mix up my exercises to keep away from bordeom.
    You look hot fyi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome Amy! I wish I had a booty like you!

    ReplyDelete