Sunday, May 22, 2011

The end of the world

There was a lot of talk all week about the "end of the world".  A Christian radio host thought he had figured out all of the numbers in the Bible, and claimed the rapture would be (or start) on May 21st.  I thought it was a bunch of baloney, but it really got me thinking about a few things.

First of all, I was thinking what I would do if i KNEW it was my last day.  Would I spend all my money? I don't have a lot.  What would I do?  We were talking at work and me and a friend realized that what we would want would be attainable every day.  The day of May 20th was warm, and we went to some friends house for a fire and s'mores.  I think a funny conversation, family, friends, and Sawyer falling asleep on my lap would have been a very good last day on earth.

I also got to thinking about what exactly they were talking about, and what I believe. I like to think that there is a being bigger than us, that wants what is best for us.  I put myself in that position, and do not see how I could possibly create something so horrible for people that I created and love.  I would want my children to be happy. I wouldn't make earthquakes and pain because they didn't worship me.  I think all I would ask for is for them to be happy and appreciate what they have.  That is all I want for my children. I could not see a loving father causing pain.  I could not see a loving father send people to "hell" because they had never heard of me, or were not given the means to believe, or just straight up not choosing to believe in something that wasn't laid out for them.  I could not see a loving father separating a family or friends who love each other in death because they didn't believe something.  What kind of love is that?  Eternal Punishment?   I know I want everything good for Sawyer, and I think that if there is a loving father out there for us, he would take in everyone.  He wouldn't take some people while others suffered pain and horror for five months, he would take us all in, be forgiving as he is said to be, and teach us all how to be better for the rest of eternity.  I have to admit, there was a small bit of me hoping that something would happen that day, because I knew it wouldn't be anything bad.  I think if the man's numbers all added up, we would all be taken in.

Lastly, I was thinking about the people that followed him.  I am all for freedom.  I don't think anyone should prevent others from believing what they want, loving who they want, or doing what they want (as long as it doesn't cause harm to others not involved.)  I thought at first it would be funny to see what they all said as the time came and passed, but as it did, I started to feel bad for them.  Most put their life savings into this.  They sold their houses, gave away their things, etc. because they KNEW it was going to happen.  I know people that would have done the same thing if it was another person telling them what Harold Camping was telling his followers.  I can't imagine the disappointment they must have felt.  I read a story that night about a guy that was trying to spread the word until the very last minute,spreading the word to save his fellow people, in Times Square, and as the time came and went, he just looked at his watch and said "I don't...I don't understand..."  The confusion/pain/disappointment he must have felt along with everyone else makes me just feel sorry.  I am anxious to see what happens of these people in the coming days, not to see how they explain themselves and to laugh, but to see how someone recovers from a situation where something you believe to the point that you know it is true, is brought down.

I guess all-in-all, I am glad we are all where we are.  I like the place I am at (though it is nice to hope for better someday), I like the ups and downs, and appreciate what I have.  It is cool to have some excitement, but I guess just thinking about it all was excitement enough for now.

1 comment:

  1. The end of the World terrifies me... I hate to think about it, talk about it, read about it etc.

    Basically on Friday and Saturday I kept as busy as possible to keep my mind off of 'what if?'

    :( Glad we are all here still

    ReplyDelete