Tuesday, October 11, 2011

HFMD

Well, parenthood as caused us to learn about a lot of new health issues we were not aware of just over a year ago (croup, pyloric stenosis...).  Not exactly fun stuff, but at least we have all survived and learned a thing or two.

This time, it is "hand foot and mouth disease."  This is not to be confused with "foot-and-mouth or hoof-and-mouth disease" that kills livestock.  This is an all-human problem that little ones get, usually between summer and fall, that tends to go around daycares, preschools and kindergartens.

Sawyer was cranky pants on Thursday and Friday last week.  Our doctor had said in a couple weeks (so right around now) his top molars would come and cause some issues usually more than other teeth (fever, diarrhea, pain...)  Sawyer had a fever on Thursday and was his cuddly whiny personality as he has in the past with one.  I tried to feed him macaroni and cheese because it was soft, but he just cried.  Andy gave him some frozen blueberries and he scarfed a ton of them down.  I thought they must be soothing on his teeth, but wondered why the soft macaroni gave him issues since he normally doesn't chew that much.

I was feeling crappy the past few days, and have had a sore throat.  This morning our babysitter called and said little Ryker had "hand, mouth, and foot disease" and she checked Eli and he had it as well. LJ didn't have it though.  She said Sawyer was probably already exposed since they all probably shared binkies.  Everything all came together.

Basically, this thing is an infection that causes fever and general "sick" feeling, and gives kids sores in your mouth, hands, and feet.  You don't need to go to the doctor for it, and if you do, they don't usually even give medication.  It lasts 3-7 days and is passed through body fluids. Sawyer must have had it in his throat and the blueberries were soothing to swallow, but the macaroni just hurt.

Do you remember I said i felt crappy?  Yep, somehow I was a part of the rare adults that got it.  I checked my throat today and it wasn't a usual sore throat, it is a bunch of little sores back there! Yuck!  I had thought it was cute how much Sawyer wanted to share his binky with us this past week.  Not so cute anymore.

Sawyer has been acting normal since the weekend, and I feel fine now apart from my throat.  I am glad I found out from the babysitter though, I think I would have freaked if I saw Sawyer with sores all over his mouth, hands, and feet!

4 comments:

  1. that does not sound fun! I'm not looking forward to days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man!!! Dang germs everywhere in the world!! Get better both of you and don't share your binky with Andy LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Jill... (Get better soon Beany and Amy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I didn't know that usually only kids got it. When I worked at Convergy's years ago, almost the whole call center floor (About 70 agents) got it. It sucks LOL Glad you guys are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete