Sunday, November 3, 2013

New Job

My last day at Sunrise was Thursday.  It's been a good five years.  I actually enjoyed working in retail.  The people were usually my age (coworkers) and getting to talk to new customers about random things every day was fun for me.  The pay was also good (and probably double what most people expect out of a retail job).  I didn't have a choice though, when they decided to give the finance rep tasks to the SSR's across the country.

I cleared out my desk and took the pictures off the wall first thing so I didn't get super sad when I left.  It was a good normal day at work, having fun with the coworkers.  Natalie came back from lunch with surprises for me.  She had got an ice cream cake and gifts for me (from everyone) and a card.  The gifts were things to use in a cubicle like a calendar of awkward family photos, new pens, a flip book that displays what mood you are in for the day, a cube picture frame, and a pretty flower.


My first day on Friday went OK.  I left the kids at 6 and made it to Bothell right after 7 which was good considering there was traffic on 405.  I didn't do much my first day but I met everyone (who as I expected are all quite a bit older than I am) and settled in a little bit.  I have to switch cubicles with someone so I didn't get too settled.  They have to switch the phones first before I can switch though so I guess I'll just not decorate or anything.  I was pretty excited to see how big the cubes are and how decorated everyone makes them.  My boss explained some things to me but I didn't understand much because I hadn't seen where they applied, then I sat with someone who was very nice but didn't explain what was going on very well.  She explained the situation well but I had no idea what the numbers and stuff she was working with meant and I didn't have a chance to ask.  I think I'll get it eventually though, it helps that I dealt with that stuff in my own store.  My eyes were glossing over because I woke up at 4 with Andy and couldn't get back to sleep, plus the info overload.  I think I will catch on eventually.  I really miss my old coworkers though, especially Natalie and our sarcastic comments we laughed about all day.  The people in the office seem to not have a similar sense of humor as me so I hope I can fit in and manage not to offend someone with my sarcasm I've never had to filter.  I think it will be OK though, and I'm excited to find my groove and start my schedule (we are allowed to pick our hours).  Tomorrow the big boss lady from Atlanta will be in and meeting everyone for the first time.  I think I'm a little relieved to be brand new at this point so she doesn't have anything to talk to me about lol.  The drive home sucks, but I expected that.  It took about 1:45 to get home, but they are FINALLY putting a stoplight in at 144th on 122nd so I think that will save 10 minutes.

I guess we will see how this week goes.  Hopefully I start connecting all the right things and understanding better.  I get to sit with all different people, so I'm sure I will get a lot of good info.  They aren't giving me stores until they're sure I understand so that is a relief.  I kind of wish they had a training program like the stores where they ship you off for a few weeks to learn by people that's job is to teach you how to do your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment