Friday, May 2, 2014

Oatmeal

I found a few recipes for refridgerator oatmeal, so I thought we could try one.  We normally give ourselves about 20 minutes to get out the door (gotta get all the sleep you can!) so we don't have time to sit and eat a bowl of cheerios at 5:30 in the morning.  I was taking easy mac to work everyday, which I hated because the thought of all that yellow dye and powdered cheese was making me feel dirty.

I still have no problem with restuarant food, but we haven't been eating a ton of that lately, and Andy doesn't make anything from boxes or bags really at all, so I thought my breakfast should follow suit.  Plus, it is ready to go when you walk out the door.

We make bigger servings.  I kind of eat it throughout the morning or put it back in the fridge for an after lunch snack (I drive 2 hours, work 10, then have another 1:30 home so I get hungry in the afternoon).

Anyways, all it is:

1/2 cup oats (like from the cylinder tub)
1/2 cup yogurt (I like vanilla)
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp chia seeds
Shake furiously (we put them in pint mason jars)
Add any flavors (peanut butter, cocoa, fruit, whatever)
Put in fridge and pull out in the morning to eat.  I like adding the fruit later since it seems like it loses flavor overnight.

I think it might last a few days but we just do them the night before. It is a nice cold healthy treat and will probably be nice for the summer. 

Side note: I don't taste any chia seeds, but they're all the rage now so might as well throw in anything extra that you can hide in there that is beneficial to your health.

Do not eat this if you don't like oatmeal or have texture issues though, it really is like a thick oatmeal.  Andy an I both like it though so we'll see how long before we get sick of it ;)  Oh, and it is super runny the night before but turns thick overnight.  For some reason that blew Andy's mind...like he's never cooked oatmeal before ;)  There are all sorts of recipes online for things like using greek yogurt or different spices/flavorings etc so I am excited to try some new ones.  I am a fan of peaches and strawberry banana, but the mango fell flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment