Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Job offer

I received my job offer letter today!  It was a long process and I'm glad it is over and worked out.

It started back in July when they announced that my job title was being eliminated across the country.  As I wasn't sure what my plan would be, I looked on the internal job site and saw what was out there.  The answer was not much.  The corporate jobs (which a lot of people want to end up in) were all IT style and/or required a lot of college and experience to boot.  I found one in accounting that didn't require experience and decided to apply since I was familiar with the job a little (they work with the stores- my position specifically was a main contact).  I kind of forgot about it since it was 2 months later that my manager called me in and said they were interested in interviewing me.  I was a little surprised.

I went to the interview, after trying to prepare.  It didn't have any of the "normal" questions though, and they basically just asked me about my previous experience.  I wasn't exactly sure how well it went, since I didn't have a lot of opportunity to present myself.  Within a few days I found another girl I was kind of buddies with was also interviewed, and I'm sure more in my position (since we were all getting laid off and there are literally dozens of stores in the area).

I hadn't heard anything for the past few weeks since the interview, but last week my manager said they contacted him and asked him a few questions.  He said they liked me, but I wasn't counting on anything until I heard it from THEM.

Well, today the letter arrived! It was quite a relief because looking online, there are not a lot of jobs out there that I was interested in, and most of them didn't pay more than a few dollars over minimum wage with ridiculous experience required ("at least 3 years in the IT and golf sales fields").  They are offering me more than I make now, but I am going to try to negotiate higher since the job is in Bothell and it is a FORTUNE to live up there (our house up there is more than 400k since it's next to Seattle) or to commute each day (with the traffic it is about 2 hours each way).  I hate to sell our house, but I do love the area up there and it would be nice to not pay that much gas. I guess we will see how it works out.

I would like to thank my college degree and certificate, as well as my decision to take accounting because I know that is what put me over the top over the other candidates!  I bet I even get a cubicle ;)  I am set to start the new job as of the first of the month!


No comments:

Post a Comment