Monday, July 29, 2013

Summerland, Mt. Rainier

My parents invited Erik and Destiny hiking this weekend (well more of a casual walk around Sunrise at Mt. Rainier) but Erik had to do some hard construction work so he was too tired.  I called my parents to tell them they couldn't go (they were at our house) and asked if I could go instead.

While they had a casual walk planned for Erik and Destiny, apparently that was not the case for me.  I guess they decided to try a new hike at Mt. Rainier to Summerland.  Round-trip it is 8.5 miles and there's a 1500 ft elevation gain.  I am not in shape since the baby and my legs were KILLING me.  It was pretty steep in some spots and was constantly going up at some point.  We were almost to the top (but didn't know it yet) and I saw a lady that had to be at least 85 on her way down with a bunch of other older folks that encouraged us to keep going right as it was getting hard to lift my legs another step.  I still have no idea how all those people made it up- I hope I'm in that great of shape when I'm old!

We started in a forest with a few random streams, then went over a log to cross a river, and ended up switch backing through a few meadows of wildflowers.  It was beautiful!  You could see the top of the mountain and the glaciers since we were pretty close to the top right below the snow line.  We actually passed some snow.  When we got to the top, it was even more beautiful.  My dad described it as hobbit land lol.  It was a huge meadow with a big stream going through.  There was a "bathroom" (composting shack) up there and a little covering you can sleep in if you camp up there.  There's poles to hang your food from to keep them from bears.  A marmot even ran right across my path.  We stopped to eat snacks on some boulders, making sure to rock-hop as to not step on the meadow.  The way down was easier, but our dusty feet hurt and it was really hard on my knees.  I couldn't even walk after getting out of the car.  I would definitely say it was worth it though!  I can't wait to go back when I've done some squats to build up my legs first :)
The bear pole
















No comments:

Post a Comment