Thursday, June 27, 2013

My job's disappearing

The title says it all.  We had heard rumors the past couple days when we got an invite for a conference call just including management, SSR's, and FR's.

Basically, they said for the "customer experience" they would be getting rid of all of the finance reps (my job) and drastically lowering the SSR's (they do customer service stuff and do not receive commission).  I think what they mean is they made some poor decisions and have to cut costs because it wouldn't help the store to have more sales reps, especially in locations like ours that rarely have lines. What they are doing is letting the current SSR's keep the jobs that will stay open, and the other SSR's and FR's have to apply for any open positions.  They will decrease our jobs but will open the same amount of jobs as sales reps or asst. managers and per union we get the first shot at them.  The thing is though, they are giving OUR duties to the SSR's.  So yeah, basically they are giving my job to another title and instead of making me that title, I have the option to apply for it if there isn't already someone that has that job (but there is in my store) or apply for a sales position...which is dumb because why don't they just keep us in that job and change our title?  Now they have to spend thousands and thousands on training for them and us. If we choose not to apply for a new job, ours will be ended at the end of 2013 and we can get the severance (which is not worth it.)

So yeah, I pretty much will probably have to be a sales rep.  Which sucks because I'll have quotas.  I'd have to go down $4/hr but be making about $1500 in commission more each month so I'd probably make more money but not sure its worth it.  I had perfect hours m-f 9-5 but sales reps don't get those hours. :(  I guess I'll see if I can find another office job that pays that well (hah, good luck) and otherwise just try to get good at sales.  Hopefully I would even get that job- they are making me apply and take the assessment so if I fail that I couldn't even interview.  I think they're going to find people are going to do a lot more things that cost the company money now that there aren't people like me to stop people, and the managers won't have time to do the stuff that I would do now.  The benefit of this is I would have a lot less responsibility.  Right now they pretty much have me in charge of everything in the store except for sales, and we are on the same pay scale as an SSR which is dumb.  I'll have relief in that at least!

I did have a good night though.  I blew off steam at the bar with Krissy and Kyndyl and we discussed all the major convo topics.  It was fun and I'm glad something positive happened today.  I would like to point out that my manager was really nice and helpful and encouraging to me, insisting I would be really successful in sales with my personality, and my co-workers were sympathetic and helpful too.  I do love the people I work with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment