Thursday, June 19, 2014

Karate

Today was Sawyer's first day of karate!

Eli and LJ had been doing karate (Eli turned 4 in January) and Sawyer had been waiting to turn 4 so he could join them.  LJ decided to do soccer this season so it was just Eli with him.  He was SO excited!  I did karate for a little bit so I think I am just as excited as he is.

He looks so cute in his little black gi, but it is a tad too big.  Andy said he was most excited to put on his white belt.



Parents aren't supposed to go in because they are distractions, but Andy sneaked a photo.  He is in the front next to Eli in the yellow shirt (Eli couldn't find his uniform today.)


I am really excited because I read the pamphlet and they teach all sorts of safety (stranger danger, drugs, fire, water) as well as discipline and morals.  They have the regular self defenses (punch/kicks/blocks) and katas (forms).  They have advancement ceremonies and tournaments too.  They said a lot of the kids have improved in behavior (yayyy).  I think it will be a good thing for him!

He got to do punches and kicks into pads today.  He showed me his punches and kneeing and he seemed so proud.  It must have tuckered him out though, because he looked like this by the time he got home:

I am so glad he is old enough to be into things.  He will be starting soccer up again next week.  Each activity is only once a week so we aren't too overwhelmed (yet) but Andy says he will drive the kids non stop if they want to do that many activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment