Friday, June 13, 2014

Doing it all

I may have said this before, but I have a problem.  I really want to do it all. 

I think through so many scenarios in my head.  Work takes up a ton of time.  To be exact, it takes about 56 hours out of my week.  I know people are busy, but I find myself getting annoyed with people complaining about how they don't have enough time to do anything.  Do you really? Or are you making excuses?

Our house was always messy and it didn't bother me too much, but a couple months ago I decided that I would try harder instead of making excuses, and guess what?  Since the beginning of April, I have had all the laundry caught up and folded, right away, our room has been clean, the living room is usually picked up for the most part, and I have kept up on vacuuming.  That was just not the usual before.  I have also done fun things with family (immediate and extended), done photo shoots, attended soccer games,  followed a couple TV shows, practice my guitar most nights, and run at least 3 days a week. 

I actually find it helpful that Andy works for 2 of my days off, since on our day off together we try to do family things together.  If he isn't there, I don't feel like packing up the kids very often so while he is at work is usually when I do the cleaning while the kids play upstairs and run around the vacuum, and the other day is a relax day where we don't get dressed for half the day and sit on the couch. 

I still complain in my head sometimes.  I think of what it would be like to cut out some of those work hours.  I would be so skinny!  I could practice my guitar more than 15 minutes!  We could have a nice yard!  I would get more than 5 hours of sleep each night!  I could make decorations and clothes!  I wouldn't have to run on a full stomach night!  I could shower more!  (Yeah, you heard me, no shame.)  But to be honest, it isn't so bad being the "jack of all trades, master of none."  I like going to work and feeling important and bringing in a solid check that I can rely on, and I like having hobbies.  I know I could probably put a lot of effort into photos or something and do OK, but that just makes me nervous relying on other people...so here we are and it isn't so bad.

I am so grateful we live in the time we do, where men can and are expected to do household type things.  Andy keeps the kitchen clean and cooks dinner every night.  Never from a box.  He even makes potato chips if that is on the menu.  I don't know what I would do if I got home at 7:45 and had to find something for dinner.  Actually I do know- we would eat hot dogs and tater tots every night!  I'm glad I can walk into the house and eat :) 

I still want to do it all.  I am really sad because I want to dance, but adding classes for that would be too much, especially as we are putting Sawyer back in soccer and in karate here soon.  I don't want to know how bad it will be when the kids are in school- if they are anything like me (constantly in a club or sport, usually multiple) it is going to be even worse!

I find that staying busy is usually the way to get more things done.  Once you start moving, you keep moving.  I always thought that was why they say kids involved do better in school.  I hope that holds, because Kellan has an amazing arm for his age, and Sawyer shows some natural soccer skills (pay for college pay for college).

I think, though hectic sometimes, we will just keep being "those people."  The ones that are always doing something.  It may not make me the "master" of anything, but I think I like it that way.  Unfortunately for you people, it has caused the blog to not be updated as regularly as before, but what can I say? Sorry! ;)

Here is one of our "relax" days while daddy was at work, just watching TV.  They are so cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment