Thursday, September 6, 2012

Suds free

Someone asked me a couple months ago if I still wash my hair with baking soda.  Since I can't post any awesome pictures, I thought I'd give an update on the suds-free issue.

The answer?  Yes, but not all the time.

It really does work.  My hair gets greasy pretty quickly compared to some since each hair is so fine, and it definitely takes all of that out.  I just couldn't do it ALL the time.

The negatives (why I can't do it all the time):
-If you do it enough, it starts to build up in your hair.  It is VERY hard to rinse out all the way since it is dissolved in water in the first place I noticed it would start to get heavy and I could feel it in there.  My hair would look more "clumpy" too (not like oily stringy, but like bigger chunks)

-After it is a little built up, your hair tangles throughout the day more.  It was getting ridiculous by the end of the day after a few weeks.

-My hair started to lose the "good" smell

One other issue that happened when I first did it was I ended up with a little dandruff.  Luckily it went away though, but I almost stopped after the first week.


Dont fret though, one wash with Pantene shampoo and conditioner placed it right back where it was!  Soft and smooth, and smelling good.  I usually use the Pantene once or twice a week, but it is better than 7 times!

The positives (why I still use it):
-Super cheap!  I only dissove a tablespoon in my container and that lasts for like 4 or more uses.  The whole box of baking soda is only like $0.50.  I hardly use any of the vinegar solution each time and it lasted months.

-When you first get out of the shower, you can completely comb through your hair- no tangles at all.  It is way better than conditioner for that.

-My hair will NOT hold curls.  At all.  They last about an hour.  After using it a few times, it held curls perfectly without any hairspray even!  Since I started using pantene randomly though, I generally make sure if I am going to curl my hair it has been a few days since actual shampoo, and I use hairspray...BUT they hold!

-I don't know if it is the baking soda or the vinegar, but it naturally lightens your hair just a tad so I have awesome highlights in my hair that took no money or effort.


So there you have it.  I am an advocate!

Here is my method:
1. Pour the solution on the top of my head where it needs it most (front, by ears, etc).  Massage like you are lathering shampoo.  It will kind of run down your hair, but usually you don't need it at the bottom.
2. Let it sit while I wash the rest of my body
3. Rinse out like you would shampoo.
4. Apply a few squirts of vinegar solution to the bottom.
5. Shave legs (yes, I shave my legs quickly daily- can't stand prickly legs!)
6. Rinse out vinegar solution


 As for the using-oil-to-clean-your-face method...well, it worked, but it took wayyyy too long each night and I didn't see a change in my face.  It is just easier to wipe my face with a clearasil pad at night rather than rubbing in oil and steaming it off with a cloth for minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment