Friday, March 7, 2014

I got my first real six string

That blog title gave me flashbacks.  My dad used to blast that Bryan Adams song (Summer of '69) on the weekends to wake my brother and I up...either that, or Bob Marley.  I wouldn't even be mad.

Anyway, just wanted to post about my Wednesday.  My old manager/friend Chantal was selling he guitar awhile ago, and I bought it for pretty cheap.  She just wanted to get rid of it, and lowered the price when she found out I wanted it.  Andy got me lessons for my birthday, and my first one was on Wednesday at Ted Bown Music (the new Puyallup location is not as awesome as the big bronze shiny one in Tacoma, but I can't complain).

I told Andy to get me an old wise man teacher.  He said he thinks they're all that way.  I got there and found a young guy in a slouchy beanie.  I mention the slouchy beanie because Andy hates them so much for some reason that he makes an audible "yechh" sound whenever he sees someone in one, and I found it hilarious that my teacher was not only not an old guy, but wears one.

He was nice.  I expected very very basic overviews of things the first lesson, which was kind of what I got.  Luckily my prior music experience let me skip over what scales are and how an f-sharp is the same as a g-flat yada yada quarter note yada yada repeat sign etc.  He went over how to tune, what notes the strings were, and taught me a couple scales.  I figured I'd be learning individual notes and stuff for awhile but he taught me 4 chords already and my "homework" was to bring in 5-10 songs I want to learn.  It was really fun and I am really excited I got to jump right in :)

Since I don't have a picture, here is one I took of Sawyer today at dinner.  I got him cute little skinny jeans since I have a "Children's Place" problem.  He is so thin they are still baggy and I got him a couple pairs of chino shorts- they actually came in "slim" "regular" and "husky" for his age.  I got him "slim" and they were still baggy on him.  I guess they'll fit next year at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment