Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Financially independent

I have a problem. When Sawyer wants toys, I would buy it as long as it was under $10. I figured that's one of the perks of 2 incomes is that we could buy the kids what they want, but there is a point they are spoiled and need to learn "no" so we started having Sawyer earn his own money.

Sawyer has a wallet we got somewhere (Sounders) so we decided to have him earn dollars the past few months.  Now, whenever he asks for a toy, we tell him he can save his money and buy it.  It works perfectly because then he isn't getting too many toys, and we can say "no" without him getting angry or upset (plus value of a dollar blah blah).

He earns a dollar when he goes a whole soccer practice without touching the ball with his hands, cleaning up his toys, and other tasks we want done.  He finally saved up $17 which was enough for an angry birds roller track toy he wanted.  Andy took him yesterday to go get it, and it was on sale!  He got to get a second toy (Disney planes micro drifters)!  It is so cute and I love how he will randomly come up to me and ask me to count his money with him.






1 comment:

  1. What a great idea!!!! I love it! And agreed, the perks of having two incomes is we can provide some of those fun things one income families cannot

    ReplyDelete