Thursday, June 9, 2011

One for One

I first heard of TOMS a few years ago before I worked for at&t, but I saw a commercial for them.  It was actually one of those "more bars in more places" campaigns they used to do where objects make cell phone bars.  I remember this one was tires or something....ANYWAY.... it was the owner of the company (TOMS, not at&t) saying how he used his blackberry all over the world when he was delivering shoes.

When I started at at&t it was fairly soon after and they had the commercial somewhere on one of the websites.  I looked up toms.com and was pretty impressed.  Basically, for those that don't know the story, the owner (Blake) was in a poor country and noticed a lot of kids didn't have shoes.  He came back and started the company TOMS, where if you buy a pair, they will give a pair to a child in need.  I wanted to be a part of it so I ordered my first pair.

When they arrived and I tried them on, I realized they were the comfiest shoes I had ever worn.  I know a thing or two about comfortable shoes, I rarely wear anything apart from flip flops, I only work out in Shox even though they are super pricey, and I break my work dress code every day and wear Vans. These TOMS were like walking on a cloud!  They are kind of funny looking, but I liked making a statement and having people ask about them.  A few people knew what they were, but not a lot of people had them then so I think I probably just got more goofy looks than anything.

Luckily, now, they are becoming trendy and TOMS has delivered over a million pairs to kids in need!  You can read their stories about how some can finally go to school since school requires shoes and others had shoes with holes in the bottom so they were pointless.  It is good to know that kids are being helped all over the world.

Now, they also started an eyewear one-for-one.  If you buy a pair of sunglasses, they will give someone in a poor country medical treatment, prescription eyewear, or surgery.  Win-win!

Anyway, the reason I posted about this company in the first place apart from spreading the word about the movement, is my gray ones came in today!


They are awesome and actually fit me well unlike black sparkly that I ordered too small.  I am so excited.  I wish I wore them for our wedding, they have special wedding ones (sparkly white) that you can see people wearing if you go through the pictures on the website.

Welcome to the family, gray TOMS!

3 comments:

  1. I just wouldnt get the glitter ones, i think the rest are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Toms, but own none. I told Kailee I wanted a pair, but I have yet to purchase me any. I love the looks of them. Kailee almost bought the wedding ones, of course she chose her favorite shoes..... VANS lol

    ReplyDelete