Thursday, December 11, 2014

A first attempt at CrossFit

I've been feeling like a tub of lard the last few weeks.  With the holidays and Andy's work having him do a ton of OT, we keep eating fast food and the regular holiday treats.  Add the fact that we all kept getting colds and I was just feeling like blubber (which is what the cookie cutter shark eats because it is easiest to bite- thank you Sawyer for giving me that bit of info.)

I kept seeing people post their CrossFit photos (as usual) on FB and decided to ask Jenna about it.  She flipped out and got so excited that I wanted to try it.  She is obsessed with it.  We decided I could go with her this evening after work.  She is a server so doesn't have a lot of evenings free.

If you don't know what it is, you're probably living under a rock, or not on Facebook, but I've seen a few competitions on ESPN and they explain it as a lot of varied exercises that are usually done quickly.  They are made to be more reasonable workouts that you would need in emergencies or every day life.  For example, you probably would never need to run a marathon, but you might have to sprint somewhere, or you might have to pull yourself up on something or open a difficult pickle jar versus ride your bike 50 miles (well, unless you commute on your bike, but I digress.)  They use pretty minimal equipment, and from what I saw, it seems to just be weights, pull-up bars, medicine balls, jump ropes, and rowing machines but I'm sure I missed some stuff.  There were a few tires they probably flip around.  It is mostly about strength.

We waited for the owner to get there so I could sign a waiver and stuff, then she started my personal workout.  They call them WOD's (workout of the days).  She was helping me since I was new.  I'll get the easy ones for awhile and she said you don't start to build intensity until like a month in so don't go until you throw up or anything.  We started with a warm up.  500 meter row, 10 push ups, 10 sit-ups, 10 squats, 5 pull-ups.  Now, I have no arm muscles.  I never had arm muscles.  They have bands to assist you (stick your foot in a giant rubber band) in the pull-ups and I still had a hell of a time pulling up.  Then we did it again.  I was almost dizzy by then.  We then stretched, then did the work out.  It was 7 minutes long and you do 7 wall balls (squat with a medicine ball and throw it as you stand back up) then 7 push ups.  Let me tell you, 7 minutes is a long time!  It was really hard! Afterwards we just laid on our backs to rest.  My legs are pretty muscular so I didn't completely die in the bottom half of my body, and I can do sit-ups all day, but my arms are DEAD.  I hope I can build more leg muscles though because I've started loving the look of a muscular physique.

You get a week free so I think I'll go back a few times this week.  I'm a little intimidated since Jenna won't be there though.  Everyone was really nice though and friendly and encouraging.  I will see how it goes and probably sign up.  They even have a play area so you can take your kids.

Afterwards we went to Qdoba where Jenna taught Sawyer how to eat a taco properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment