Saturday, January 4, 2014

3.5

Sawyer just turned 3-1/2 a couple weeks ago.  This is a bit late, but it has been hectic around here.

It's always weird to update because the older they get, the less they change.  It is such a gradual change that you can't just post "today he ______".

Let's see.  Well, he is quite the little firecracker.  He has SUCH an attitude, which is both good and bad I guess.  He is really good with his imagination and always plays with his little brother.  He also lies, does things he knows he shouldn't (sometimes slowly while looking us in the eyes), and does things like pushing Kellan over, throwing things at his face, and stealing his toys.  I think "terrible threes" are more a thing than "terrible twos" and a lot of people I've spoken with have had the same issue.

His language is pretty good.  He still has a lisp and has a hard time saying L's and R's.  We have been working with him on saying L's especially and now he calls Kellan "Keh-lllllllynn" sounding like a girl's name.  He otherwise tends to talk like a regular person now apart from a few mispronounced words.  He still says "reneber" for "remember", uses the phrase "that's why" instead of "because" (ex: You need to change your pants mommy that's why I spilled my juice on them) and one of my other favorites "hang-ga-burger".  He has started using words like "actually" and "probably" which aren't really advanced words, but they aren't part of "necessary" vocabulary.  He still calls everyone a "him" or "he".  He has a little problem with verbs too, he says "play withing" instead of "playing with" which he uses a lot to tell on Kellan "MOMMY! Kellan's play withing your phone!"

We don't draw as much as we should I guess but he is getting more control of his hands and can draw people.  His letters aren't very good, but we don't practice either.  I took some early childhood education classes so I don't want to force him to learn at this age.  He knows shapes, numbers, and letters but he's known those since before he turned 2 so it isn't much progress apart form the numbers, but the lower case letters is more recent.  He also sings some songs.

He is very appreciative.  He will randomly come up to me and say "thank you so much for _______ I really really like it" (toy, food, whatever) and give me a huge hug.

His memory is amazing.  He beats me at those matching games.  He will also remember something the second he wakes up which is funny to me because I can't even register where I am for a few minutes.  He will roll over with his eyes still closed when I wake him up and say "are we going to grandma's today?"

Speaking of sleeping, he normally goes to bed around 10-11 and we take him to daycare still asleep (I plop him on the couch) and when he's home with us he wakes up at 9-ish.  He isn't coming into our room anymore, but I think that was because he was used to me going to work so late that we woke up at 8:30 and he would come in when Andy left at 5.  Now when he wakes up early he just goes downstairs and plays instead of coming in my bed.

I love this age though.  He is like a normal kid now, but he still has some little person cuteness to him.

Here was an attempt to take a few pictures of him.  He would not sit still and would do his Adam Sandler voice which I hate.  He did a few cute things and I managed to get one of him smiling by telling him if he stood still for 10 seconds he could make a silly face at the end... so we did that a few times.

A smiley one



"Mommy take a picture of my butt"



1 comment: